Saturday, February 26, 2011

UTI Going Around

Things have been busy around here lately. I noticed faith was drinking a lot of water. Because she is over weight I thought it might be diabetes. Didn't have a whole lot of money to bring her into the vet. I had to do it as cheaply as possible. Through an angel they gave me a free blood glucose kit and I tested her blood. Her first reading was 51, and her second reading was 49. So I wasn't sure if the monitor was just off, or if she was hypoglycemic. The vet said that was very rare. She said she could do a urine sample. So Last Saturday I brang in a urine sample. The vet said her urine was concetrated so that was good. Kidney's were good. But what she found was a UTI! So faith was put on Baytril 22mg. One pill a day for 15 days. She said her urine was a little acidic, but that could have been due to the urinary tract infection. So after MUCH worrying that she had diabetes or worse kidney issues, I was relieved when it was just a UTI. Her water intake has been MUCH less which is good. I know it's good for them to drink enough water. But she was worrying me!

Then this past week I noticed Sassy had a pretty small urine spot in the litter box. So of course me being me, I started to panic that maybe she had problems with her kidneys. Since Sassy is not the most tolerant cat. I couldn't get a urine sample. I had to bring her in This past Thursday to the vet. I played the cuddle card and spent all day with her so she was in a good mood so I could get her in the carrier. It worked.

While at the vet she did pretty well up until the point the vet started to look at her. She let the vet tech pick her up with no sounds or acts of violence! I was socked. She let the vet pet her a little. Once she started to feel around Sassy then got outwardly mean and growled. And the vet got her nice big thick gloves. Sassy at one point bit her and the glove went flying off her hands! That's when Sassy cowered in the corner and left a urine sample for the vet! YAY! Poor Sassy though. She had to be a little embarassed that she peed outside the litter box. She's one of those cats that if there is no litter box she will NOT pee outside of it. She'll hold it. So, I was glad that she peed though. The vet got a sample and got a reading from it. She did have a urinary tract infection as well! So, she was put on 1/2 a pill of baytril for 15 days.

Her urine was nicely concentrated so no Kidney problems! YAY. She did find some protien but, she said that the infection can cause that so she's not really worried. If after she's been cleared of the UTI and she still had protien in her urine, then there could be a hole in her Kidney. Nothing huge, but she'd have to be put on special food with low protien. But right now Sassy looks healthy.

She did want Sassy to come in for a teeth cleaning soon though. Then she'd also get a blood sample. However, with monitary issues. That will have to wait until it's something necessary. With all the cats going into the vet, it's taking a tole on my cash flow.

Till next time -

No comments:

Post a Comment