Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sassy (A.K.A. Patchers)















Sassy's Story

7 Years ago Sassy was underneith a friends portch with one kitten.  My friend and I believe that people around the block slowly took the kittens into their homes and only one was left.  My friend took the kitten but didn't want Sassy because she was part feral.  She was extremely mean and would scratch you and bite you.  But I knew that if Sassy were left on the streets she'd either die there, or the Humane Society would trap her and euthanize her.  I didn't think that was fair to Sassy. She had so much life left.  When I got her home and tried to pet her her head would go down and ears back.  This was a sign that she was abused at some point in her life.  I spent many nights in the basement with her while she got aquainted.  She gradually came to trust me and would curl up on the couch with me.  I took her in to be spayed and all has been well health wise since then.  She has done a 180 since the first time I took her in. I am now able to pick her up somewhat.  There are some days that she isn't having it and I understand.  She does not scratch anymore or bite unless she feels cornered and feels threatened otherwise she runs in the other direction.  She does not like anyone else but me.  Because she is part feral it also makes it difficult for her to be taken into the vet.  When she had her rabies shot it took 3 vet assistants and the vet to give her the rabies shot.  So she does not get them anymore. I am vigilant about her not getting out, though she really wants to.  If there is an open window she's right there.  I am not sure how old Sassy really is.  She was probably between 5-6 when I got her so I estimate her age to be around 12-13.   She is getting to the age where she can have more medical needs, and that means that getting the vet savings account set up is important now more than ever. 

Sassy has her own special way about her and I love her as much as she loves me.  I can't imagine this world without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment