Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Lucky is Diabetic

Since April of 2013, I have had a very terbulant time with my cats. One cat was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism, and As of August Lucky was diagnosed as Diabetic.

I started noticing Lucky waiting by the water dish if another cat was drinking. Something she did not normally do. I also noticed that she went frequently to the water dish many times during the day.  She had also lost some weight.  So I put her in a room and monitored her. She wasn't eating very much, but was drinking well over 1 cup of water a day.  I  noticed that her urine didn't have that distinct ammonia smell that most cats urine had.  I made an appointment with the vet as soon as possible.  She had blood drawn and a urine strip test was done. There was a lot of sugar spilling into her urine, and her urine was very dilute.  Her blood sugar came back at over 300.

The vet was very optimistic that only a diet change may be needed.  So she was then put on an all wet food diet of Fancy Feast as it was the lowest in carbs and the cheapest.  At first her numbers went down a little but they were still above normal.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do. Looking into insulin, the best for her was Latnus. However Latnus cost around $200.  Which I did not have.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do for her.  I was referred by someone to Diabetic Cats In Need, and they were quick to help out by sending a pen of Latnus to get me started. Luckily by the time that arrived. She started having blood sugar readings in the normal level, and they stayed there for 14 days. After which she was considered in remission, and controlled only on food.  This was a BIG relief to me.

Since being diagnosed, she has had to have one dental cleaning and was put on antibiotics.

Hopefully she continues to be controlled simply by diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment